Dale specializes in business law of all types, including entity formation, transactions, acquisitions and mergers, and commercial disputes. Dale’s practice includes particular emphasis on public utilities, corporate and limited liability company law, energy and environmental law, and real estate law. Dale was extensively involved in updating and customizing Wyoming’s forward-looking Limited Liability Company Act and the existing Wyoming Business Corporation Act. He has received a Martindale-Hubbell® AV rating, has been listed in Super Lawyers and Best Lawyers in America, and has received top band rankings by Chambers and Partners. In 2016, Dale was named the Cheyenne “Corporate Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers.
Contact us online or call (307) 222-4932 today.
Dale has enjoyed many years of professional and community service. He was a board member of the Cheyenne Boys and Girls Club for 6 years and President for 3 years during the time when a twelve-acre, multi-building complex was constructed and funded. Dale was elected by his legal peers to represent them in the American Bar Association House of Delegates where he served from 2008 to 2016. Dale is a Fellow in the American College of Mortgage Attorneys and serves as a board member on the Rocky Mountain Chapter of the Energy Bar Association. Most recently, Dale was appointed by the American Bar Association’s President to serve on the Latin America and Caribbean Law Initiative Council.
Over the past several years, Dale has spent a significant amount of time traveling throughout South America (in particular, Chile), and he enjoys every opportunity to meet new colleagues and families from South and Central America. Dale’s hobbies include almost anything outdoors, including biking, hiking, skiing, and mountain climbing. He is married to Tamara O. Cottam, M.D., a family practice physician. They have been blessed with six children, including twin boys.
- Creighton University School of Law, J.D. (magna cum laude), 1993
- Creighton University School of Business, Master of Business Administration, 1995
- University of Wyoming, B.S. (Psychology), 1989
- ROTC commissioned officer in Wyoming National Guard, artillery branch, 1985-1991
ACTIVITIES & ACCOMPLISHMENTS
- Recognized by Chambers USA as one of America’s leading business lawyers in the areas of limited liability companies and corporate law.
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV rated. Listed in Super Lawyers and Best Lawyers in America
- Past President and Board member, Boys & Girls Club of Cheyenne
- Co-chair, committee advising the Wyoming legislature on 2009 amendments to the Wyoming Business Corporation Act
- Co-chair, committee advising the Wyoming legislature on 2010 amendments to the Wyoming Limited Liability Company Act
- Chairman, Wyoming Bar Association Continuing Legal Education Committee (2007-2009)
- Principal drafter of House Bill 112, an act that substantially updated and rewrote Wyoming's foreclosure laws (2004-2005)
- Chairman, Star Valley Health Charitable Foundation (2020-2024)