Dale specializes in business law of all types, including entity formation, transactions, acquisitions and mergers, and commercial disputes. Dale’s practice includes particular emphasis in public utilities, corporate and limited liability company law, energy and environmental law, and real estate law. Dale was extensively involved in updating and customizing Wyoming’s forward-looking Limited Liability Company Act and the existing Wyoming Business Corporation Act. He has received a Martindale-Hubbell® AV rating, has been listed in Super Lawyers and Best Lawyers in America, and has received top band rankings by Chambers and Partners. In 2016, Dale was named the Cheyenne “Corporate Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers.
Contact us online or call (307) 222-4932 today.
Dale has enjoyed many years of professional and community service. He was a board member of the Cheyenne Boys and Girls Club for 6 years and President for 3 years during the time when a twelve-acre, multi-building complex was constructed and funded. Dale was elected by his legal peers to represent them in the American Bar Association House of Delegates where he served from 2008 to 2016. Dale is a Fellow in the American College of Mortgage Attorneys, and serves as a board member on the Rocky Mountain Chapter of the Energy Bar Association. Most recently, Dale was appointed by the American Bar Association’s President to serve on the Latin America and Caribbean Law Initiative Council.
Over the past several years, Dale has spent a significant amount of time traveling throughout South America (in particular, Chile), and he enjoys every opportunity to meet new colleagues and families from South and Central America. Dale’s hobbies include almost anything outdoors, including biking, hiking, skiing, and mountain climbing. He is married to Tamara O. Cottam, M.D., a family practice physician. They have been blessed with six children, including twin boys.
- Creighton University School of Law, J.D. (magna cum laude), 1993
- Creighton University School of Business, Master of Business Administration, 1995
- University of Wyoming, B.S. (Psychology), 1989
- ROTC commissioned officer in Wyoming National Guard, artillery branch, 1985-1991
- Weiss Limited Partnership v. Weiss, 178 P.3d 1091 (Wyo. 2008)
- Kinstler v. RTB South Greeley, Ltd., LLC, 2007 WY 98 (Wyo. 2007)
- PacifiCorp v. Public Service Commission, 103 P.3d 862 (Wyo. 2003)
- Lee v. LPP Mortgage Ltd., 74 P.3d 152 (Wyo. 2003)
- Wyoming Bank & Trust v. Haught, 76 P.3d 301 (Wyo. 2003)
- Williston Basin Interstate Pipeline Co. v. Wyoming Public Service Commission, 996 P.2d 663 (Wyo. 2000)
- Krier v. Safeway Stores et al., 943 P.2d 405 (Wyo. 1997)
ACTIVITIES & ACCOMPLISHMENTS
- Recognized by Chambers USA in the areas of Corporate: Mergers & Acquisitions and Bankruptcy
- Recognized by Benchmark Litigation as a Litigation Star
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV rated. Listed in Super Lawyers, Best Lawyers in America (corporate law and ranked by Chambers U.S.A. as one of America's leading business lawyers
- Past President and Board member, Boys & Girls Club of Cheyenne
- 2008 to 2010: Co-chairman of the working group formed to advise the Wyoming legislature adoption of the 2009 amendments to the Wyoming Business Corporation Act and the 2010Wyoming LLC Act
- 2007 to 2009: Chairman, Wyoming Bar Association Continuing Legal Education Committee
- 2004 to 2005: Principal drafter of House Bill 112, an act that substantially updated and rewrote Wyoming's foreclosure laws
Read two of Dale's most popular articles, Wyoming Mortgage Law and Wyoming Limited Liability Company Law.